Representative Jackie Speier, who also told the House of Representatives in Feb the story about her abortion while they decided whether to de-fund planned parenthood, made a statement about rapes in the military. In her speech the following points were made-
- Women in the U.S. military are more likely to be raped by fellow soldiers than killed by enemy fire.
- One victim was lectured by the base chaplain, who claimed that 96 percent of sexual assaults on women occur when drinking is involved. The victim had not been drinking.
- In another case after seeking the assistance of the military chaplain, he told her "it must have been God's will for her to be raped" and recommended she attend church more frequently.
- The Department of Defense estimates that more than 19,000 service members were raped or sexually assaulted in 2010.
- Only 13.5 percent of the victims report when they have been raped.
How could this possibly be going on? I have no idea how this could be allowed to go on and people are not outraged. I hope Jackie can get something done about it. Maybe she will have better luck than she did with the planned-parenthood deal. The way it's been going the fucking Republicans will probably vote to open more churches on military bases, after all the chaplain said to "attend more church services"
Now if anyone ever wonders why I feel like it is important to speak out against organized religion, this is a good example. The chaplains telling the victims it was somehow their own fault or assuming the victim had put herself in a situation to deserve it is in itself an assault.
If these chaplains actually believe what they are saying, and it is more than likely they do, that type of thinking is a threat to every woman in the military at least. If the sermon on Sunday addresses the rape issue, and the Chaplin shares his holy opinion on why women solders are being raped. Could it be that a drunk (or even sober) solder would reflect back on that ideal when the woman he is out with Friday night says no? Would he maybe look at her and think "she probably don't go to church" followed by another rape? Anybody want to tell me it couldn't happen? No, because if you tried to you would be full of shit, mentally handicapped, or just plain fuckin' stupid.