Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rich?


I'm not rich.
 I've thought about what it would be like to have lots of money. What would I do with it? What would I buy? Where would the cash go? I guess it would depend on how 'rich' I was.
  Some people won't agree with what I have to say about this topic but they should keep in mind I'm not telling people what to do with their cash so much as taking some time to think about what kind of people they are and where they see themselves in the scope of things.
  I have a daughter. She has always had a roof over her head, clothes to wear, glasses to see with, food to eat. We never have lived in a castle, and we didn't eat at a fancy restaurant every evening but we didn't suffer over those details.
 When my daughter was born I didn't spend $15,662 on a high-chair, we struggled through with one that cost us about $80. It worked pretty well, it didn't clean itself and it didn't sing songs but the 15+ thousand chair doesn't do that either so......
  I went to the babies r us website and found the most expensive high chair I could find. For $359.99 you can have the most expensive chair in the store. That would leave about $15,302 and all you would have to do is live with out crystals embedded in your high chair. I doubt the missing crystals would cause the kid to suffer much or the food to taste any different. With that $15,000 dollars you could help Hope For Creativity to provide 1000 homeless children in Massachusetts with an art pack before the end of 2012. Or maybe give to Atheist Helping The Homeless


A $600,000 rocking horse. All it does is rock......
What about a rocking horse? If I was to budget for a rocking horse the number I would settle on would not be  $600,000.
Of course a solid gold rocking horse probably wouldn't be what would come to mind either. I know I 'm not the best father a little girl could have, but I have tried my best and my daughter has grown into a pretty, level-headed, confident woman. This happened without a gold rocking horse. Going back to the babies r us site I looked up rocking horses. I then found the most expensive one  they had. For $179.99 you can take home a Little Tikes Giddyup N' Go Pony  
 While the $600,000 gold rocking horse may impress some kids I wonder, given the choice, maybe this would be enjoyed more by the kid.


   
   And, if you were to buy the $179.00 horse that would leave you an extra $599,820. That money could provide wheelchairs for about 350 people with cerebral palsy. Sure wheelchairs don't rock but they do help some people get around.

  If you think I'm making up this story you are wrong. Some parents have spent their cash in the ways I've described above. Beyoncé and Jay-Z had a baby recently. The baby is named Blue Ivy Carter. They have reportedly spent over 1.9 million dollars on magic windmill play-sets, golden rocking horses, crystal high-chairs and other items.
 Like I said I won't tell people how they should spend their money, if they want to spend their cash that they made by working  and being lucky on such things then that is their choice. What can I do about it? Nothin. I just know if I had that kind of money to throw around and had just become the father of a healthy baby girl I would have found a different way of celebrating. Every parent wants the best for their children but isn't the best sometimes showing them how they can be happy even when then own the least?
 In these times we are living in there are people who are losing their homes. People can't afford to buy their kids clothes. Families are losing their homes. The funding for the disabled is being cut. The elderly can't afford their medication. I just don't think I could spend the money we are talking about here on such unneeded things while others were being pissed on by life. Sure there are always going to be people in need but does that mean you don't consider them?
 Some people would say "You don't know how much they give to charity" when I discuss the rich wasting their money on frivolous items. Why does that matter?  Wouldn't you want all your money to be used on worthwhile things, not just some of it? A golden rocking horse just doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I'm just screwed up, but I just can't understand how anyone can spend money in this manner and then walk down the street with their head held high confident the world is a better place and your child is better off as a result of your actions. You couldn't pay me enough to feel that way

No comments:

Post a Comment